The old adage it’s not what you know it’s who you know is not just a saying. Recently I was given an opportunity to create training documentation for a group of managers that I support. How did I get this opportunity? From networking! My company recently had a golf outing that I attended (which I never do) and a few managers I support were there. One conversation led into another, my major at UMass was mentioned and the manager I was having a conversation with, asked me would I be willing to help her with creating new and revising existing training documentation for new processes that are scheduled to go live in the near future. Of course I jumped at the opportunity as this could potentially create other opportunities within my organization. Once I accepted that opportunity, my direct manager asked me to vet a few e-learning companies so we can look at new opportunities to change the way we present training to our internal clients in my department as well.
In the past I never attended social functions at work, but I finally came to the realization I have to communicate with others about my intentions for myself in order to be able to take advantage of the vast opportunities my company might have to offer. I have always been the type to come to work, serve my customers with excellence but never discuss my personal life. Sure I make small talk like everyone else but not anything in depth. I also belong to the Atlanta Chapter of the ASTD, and will now start attending seminars and networking sessions.
One study concluded that 75% success rates of sources for job opportunities came from Professional associates, former colleagues and friends (Adler & Elmhurst, 2008).
Increasing your education is great, but I had to find out the hard way it’s not enough. So the next time you are looking for a new opportunity try networking. It worked for me.
Some great advice. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHi Leslie,
ReplyDeleteI too have trouble communicating my goals and intentions with other people, but, I've been a member of the Mid-New Jersey Chapter of the ASTD for almost a year and I have to say I do enjoy going to the meetings and talking to others in ID/T&D. I've learned so much from them!
Take care,
Mary
Mary , I too am a member of the Atlanta chapter of ASTD but have not gone to a meeting. But based on your comment I will start attending. Thanks for your comments.
DeleteLeslie.